Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Introduction to Scaledreams

This is my journey through dreams I have had as a young boy growing up into the old man I am today.  I have always been a car model builder.  I have never eclipsed the talent of many individuals in the hobby but feel I am good enough to post a blog about my accomplishments.  Please be patient with me as i tell my story, show my work and ramble about my scale dreams.  


I have always been a car guy.  I will not use this forum to brag about life size vehicle ownership.  I have been building car models since I was 5, laying out the pieces on the living room floor and letting the family pet parakeet escape with pieces as he flew around the house.  Kits were crude in the 60's as were my building techniques.  Yes, I glued the kits together then...but had a brother who was 10 years older than I was to control the amount of glue fumes I actually inhaled.


I continued to build through my teen years with support from my parents who would sit in the car while I shopped at the local hobby store in Salem, Oregon.  Now at 52 its my wife who sits in the car while I run in to check out the latest kit arrivals.  She is so supportive that I owe her many thank you's for all of the 300 kits we currently have stashed in our attic.  


During school and my early married years I suffered a hiatus away from my scale dreams.  I have three wonderful children who were much more important to me during that phase of my life than building model cars.  Between the ages of 19 and 40 I built 2 models.  I don't have those models today but vividly remember the experience.  My kids are grown and very successful today and its with one of them urging me I am writing this blog.  Telling the world about my passion for scale dreams!!!


Today I have approximately 277 model kits of which 89 are built.  Don't ask me where they all are.  I have built kits for my father-in-law, grandsons and other family members.  Always at our family white elephant Christmas function I give a kit or two away.  It is always sought after by every family member.  I must be doing something right.  I like the fact others can enjoy my scale dreams.  


My plan for this blog is to post pictures and descriptions of scale dreams I have built, the one I am currently building (I never work on more than one dream at a time) and discuss the quality of the dream, the fun of building and a little history about the subject.  Its my story about my scale dreams...now sit back and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment